|Male Bluegill Sunfish|
Bluegill Sunfish Facts:
- scientific name: Lepomis macrochirus
- bluegill are members of the sunfish family which includes black bass, crappie, and others.
- common names include bluegill, sunfish, bream, brim, sunny, sun perch
- recognized as the state fish of Illinois
- under optimum conditions, bluegill sunfish can grow to 9 inches in one year
- average lifespan is four to six years
- adults have a dark opercular (or ear) fin, with a dark margin
- bluegill can hybridize with other sunfish including green sunfish, orangespotted sunfish, redear sunfish, longear sunfish, and pumpkinseeds
- bluegills are native to eastern and central North America
- the species has been introduced throughout North America, Europe and South Africa
- the species is usually found in slow moving or still water with aquatic vegetation
What do Sunfish Eat?