Spinnerbaits are excellent lures for catching bass, crappie, bream, yellow perch and other freshwater fish, especially during cool weather when fish are sluggish.
Most panfish spinnerbaits use a special metal arm and jig combination. One end of the arm is equipped with a swivel and a silver or gold blade. The other end of the arm is equipped with a snap for connecting to the jig.
These simple designs have several advantages:
- Their modular construction allows anglers to easily change soft plastic lure bodies or jig heads.
- Most models can be purchased with or without a jig.
- Simple spinnerbaits catch a wide range of species, including largemouth bass, black crappie, bream sunfish, rock bass, yellow perch, and chain pickerel.
- Anglers can choose from a variety of soft plastic bodies, marabou jigs or add bait strips.
- Due to their design, spinnerbaits are less likely to get hung up on limbs or other underwater obstructions.
- Spinnerbaits can be worked very slowly, allowing sluggish fish time to react.
- Pulsating spinner blades create pressure waves as well as bright flashes which attract fish in murky water.